Data collection via Embedded eXplorer Data Collection Agent (DCA)
The eXplorer Embedded Data Collection Agent (Embedded DCA) allows all the printing devices in a company’s or office’s network to be monitored, using a simple Embedded App installed on a multifunction Samsung XOA/E, Kyocera HyPAS, HP FutureSmart, Lexmark eSF.
The use of Embedded Data Collection Agent in MPS Monitor ensures that end users and Dealers experience maximum availability of data, allowing remote management and an efficient and accurate control of all aspects of operations, from page volumes produced to consumables supply and replacement needs, without having to install any software or use resources on the customer’s systems (PCs or Servers).
The information is transmitted to the Server components using the HTTP / HTTPS protocol. All eXplorer DCA versions use the SNMP protocol for reading. It is a prerequisite for the service that the software eXplorer DCA has Internet access to the Server components via HTTP or HTTPS.
Technical characteristics of the Embedded eXplorer DCA module
Printer data collection is performed using the software Embedded eXplorer DCA, which has the following technical details and functionality:
- It is installed on a system inside the Customer’s network, which has access to the Internet using the HTTPS protocol or HTTP (port 443 /TCP or port 80/TCP) and to printers using the SNMP protocol (port 161 / UDP)
- Connects regularly (usually with a ping every 5 minutes) to a server reachable through different URLs of the domains http(s)://*.mpsmonitor.com and http(s)://*.abassetmanagement.com to exchange data and receive information on the activities to be performed.
- Based on the information provided by the Server, the eXplorer DCA software performs a UDP scan of the subnets or IP addresses where the printers may be present, at fixed and configurable times (generally three or more times a day); the times and subnets or IP addresses to be scanned are defined in a special administration function in the configuration pages of the MPS Monitor Portal
- Identifies all printer-type devices, while completely omitting all other network devices of any other nature
- Data collection generally lasts a few seconds or minutes, depending on the complexity of the network and the number of devices
- It does not generate any noticeable impact on the network and on the devices, as the traffic generated is minimal, thanks to the use of UDP
- The data collected by the printers is stored in text files in WLK format, which are transferred to the MPS Monitor server in the Cloud via HTTP or HTTPS
- The data in the files are used to update the Database that manages the Customer’s printers
No access can be made, in any case, from outside towards the internal network of the Customer. Consequently, the eXplorer DCA installation within the customer network does not involve any risk to the safety of the network.
Embedded eXplorer DCA Mac/Linux is certified on the following operating systems:
- Samsung XOA version 1.21
- Kyocera HyPAS
- HP FutureSmart version 3 and 4
- Lexmark eSF Framework 4.x
Network Security Requirements
eXplorer DCA must be hosted on a system that has stable access via HTTPS or HTTP (port 443 or 80 outgoing), even if only to the domains https://*.mpsmonitor.com and https://*.abassetmanagement.com
Access to other sites or Internet addresses is not required, nor is it necessary to enable other outgoing protocols.
No input access is required, nor is the activation of any communication protocol from the outside to the inside of the Customer’s network.
Therefore, no specific configuration is required on the Firewalls or on the Client’s security infrastructure.